We don’t think it’s necessary to introduce Passo Dello Stelvio to any motorcyclist, but most of us just enter and leave Stelvio the same day. Once upon a time, an idea came to our mind to stay there for the night and since then we recommend it to everyone. Why? Read it, and look at the pictures by yourself, below.
The magic of dawn – sunrise on Stelvio
Alarm clock. Waking up at 4:30. Want to or not, I had to get up so as not to miss the sunrise. To be honest, only me got up – Cah, because the driver was sleeping and didn’t try to lift his eyelid, not to mention getting up. So, one of the most magical sunrises on Stelvio, he could only see in the pictures, like you.
We were very lucky because the level of clouds was very low, and that is the moment when in the mountains, especially the high ones, the real magic happens. The rising sun colored creeping through clouds giving them a truly unearthly color into countless shades of pink, orange, and violet. Above the clouds reigned the snowy peaks of the surrounding 3000-meter peaks. In such an image probably nobody will say that Stelvio does not look like a real Queen of the pass.
Passo Dello Stelvio – where to sleep?
We spent several nights on Passo Dello Stelvio in August 2019. August is quite a popular term, that’s why we have booked the rooms for an overnight stay much earlier, while we were still in Poland. We suspect that the search for accommodation at place may end in failure. Link to the hotel we choose, which we can quietly recommend, you will find below. As for the hotel itself, it may not be modern, but it had its own atmosphere. Its great advantage was the fireplace, where you can relax after the whole day. At the very top, we saw a few other hotels, but we don’t know why they disappeared from Booking.com.
Sunrise on Stelvio – what else can you see there?
If you think there’s nothing to do there, you’re very wrong. Apart from the most obvious ones, i.e. trekking in the mountains, we still have a choice of riding a motorcycle through the Umbrial Pass to Switzerland, taking a cable wagon to nearest peak (you can also enter – there is such an option), a ride to the Reschen Pass and sunken tower, and many, many others. Some of them we described in our article – Stelvio on a motorcycle. Are you sure you have already seen everything on the Queen of the Pass? You can find a link to the post here.
A bunch of useful links and information at the end
- If you are going to see the sunrise, it is worth monitoring the weather beforehand and checking the cameras in the morning to know what to be prepared for, or if it is worth getting out of bed at all. You can find a link to the cameras here.
- We have prepared a ready-made proposal for the trip to the Alps and the Italian Dolomites, which of course includes Passo Dello Stelvio. Take a look at our day-by-day plan – maybe it will help or inspire you to change your route. A link to the article can be found here.
- We’ve been to Stelvio more than once, the link to our previous article can be found here.
- Stelvio has a beautiful friend right next door, see the post about Passo di Gavia.
- Practically information about Italy itself, you will find in our guide Italy practically.
- Are you continuing on the Italian highways? Check out the costs you have to prepare for in our article.
- We have written about traffic regulations and parking rules in Italy in this article.